Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Better Off Dead?

In a recent news item, I learned that Catholic Charities of Boston decided to end its participation in adoption placement because they could not obtain an exemption from state laws banning discrimination against homosexual couples who wish to adopt.

Several times over the last two years, I have pleaded with a certain Catholic pro-life organization to discontinue using images of aborted children in their efforts to prevent abortion. My request was reasonable and personal. At least one in four women and girls who abort will develop post-traumatic stress disorder as a result. One trigger for a traumatic response is an image of an aborted fetus, for me and for many women in my position. Considering the fact that nearly half of all women who seek an abortion today have aborted before, a symptom of trauma reenactment, I have appealed to their sense of reason. It is not logical to engage the trauma center of someone’s brain and then ask her to make a life or death decision based on rational thought. But like other pro-life groups who are so attached to this weapon, I have been told that anything goes when it comes to saving the life of a child from the abortionist.

Anything, that is, except allowing the child to be adopted into a gay family. If there is any evidence that gay parents raise gay children, I haven’t heard of it. And gay children are more desirable than dead ones. I am ashamed of Catholic Charities, and ashamed of a mindset that says the ends justify the means, unless the means involve homosexuals raising children who would otherwise be aborted. Apparently, dead is better than gay.

Author's Note, added on May 11, 2006:

I've given the issue further consideration, and I believe I have a better understanding of what Catholic Charities is trying to do. It is inconsistent with Church teaching against homosexuality to cooperate in a manner that would suggest the sin is condoned. I understand this now, and the need for consistency.

My objection remains, however, against our getting out of the adoption business altogether as a solution to the problem. In the Southwest, in particular, Catholics who work in any capacity to serve the poor and disadvantaged were encouraged to conscientiously object to any immigration legislation that would criminalize offering assistance to illegal aliens. It would have been more courageous for Catholic Charities to do this as regards placement of adopted children as well; or to fight the battle in court, if it has not already been challenged to its limits and denied. I consider this a case of religious freedom, which does not protect the government from relgion so much as it should protect religion from government. As long as Catholic Charities is not subsidized by tax dollars, I disagree with any law that would force this institution to violate its own belief system while performing acts of mercy in accordance with the faith.

3 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Blogger achromic said...

Was wondering where you were..... good you are here.... now what was my question..... ummm oooo right. Ok so I am having some memory loss ..... it seems like about a month before I had to go out of work until well NOW are very spotty.... I think that has had to do with trying to block the pain out (physcial pain) in unhealthy ways.... and now I am using meditation, drugs, and relaxtion techniqics my brain is begining to let me er have my memories for longer.... but everything back ummmm is GONE. Why?

As for what you said above. YA BABE YOU SAID IT ALL!!!!! you rock.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

I don't have a problem with gays raising children because they're gay, but because the parenting qualities inherent to members of the opposite sex are absent from those children's lives. But if it is a choice between aborting children and having gay couples raise them, I think the whole argument becomes moot.

As for the pictures of aborted babies, I am truly sorry you are traumatized. And I'm sorry for all the other women who thought they were left without an option. It will never be the case as long as there is anything I can do about it.

I don't know that those pictures help women who are considering abortion, but they do help reinforce the humanity of those babies to the population at large. And it is the population at large who will decide whether they want that blood on their hands. I hate that they add to your trauma almost as much as I hate the fact that they exist. But people have to know. From young men who might get their girlfriends pregnant, to parents who might force their daughters to have abortions. Everyone has to know what abortion is, and so many are completely oblivious.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Demi said...

Somehow, as awful as this is, it doesn't surprise me that much. The RCC lately is getting paranoid about liability, potential lawsuits, etc. I'd love to give more specifics, but they're too dooceable.

Recall, however, that I work for a diocesan organization.... (RC) Lots of ethical and commonsensical parameters are getting compromised because of lawyers getting involved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home